Thursday, January 17, 2008

In the beginning...

In the beginning there was a girl who liked to make stuff. Actually, like is not a strong enough word. She needed to make stuff or else she would wither and stagnate. But she also needed to make a living. Then she thought, "Why couldn't those two needs work together to properly?fulfill my life?" The answer was that there was no reason why not.?

And thus begins the story of how I am going to make a living through crafting.

My first attempt was sharing a booth at a local craft fair where I sold a couple of little purses and big shawls. Then I made an online store at http://craftwork.etsy.com/. I haven't been keeping it up very well, but I still sell things there on occassion.

I would really love to have a thriving successfull craft-oriented business that consumes all the working hours of my days. Unfortunately, I don't know in which direction to go. I do know I don't want to make (as in manufacture) finished goods. Trying to compete with?sweat shops is beyond my abilities. However, I still haven't ruled it out.

I'm in the middle of getting a Bachelor's in Business Administration so when I do know what my business is going to be, I will know how to run it. In the mean time, I will continue to experiment, craft, write, and hope.

[This post was originally written and posted on December 10, 2007 on my old blog.]

No comments: